Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Keeping it Real, or What I do, or Surviving the Heat, or whatever fits

With the end of August, comes the end of one of the most trying times of the year.

Summer.

Summer used to stand for something fun. It used to stand for reposing, relaxing, partying, family trips. Every single year, summer used to be what we lived for. But that was years ago, and I haven't had a summer break in... enough years to stop missing it.

It would be nice to have that break back, sure. But no, it's not because of work that summer has become the hardest time of the year for me. It isn't because it isn't really summer anymore.

It's because I can't stand the heat.

If you know me personally, you know how much I can't stand the summer heat. I complain about it on a daily basis, and I will continue to complain about it for the rest of my life. I'm just not a summer weather kind of person. And I've grown up in hot places all my life... you could argue I should get used to it.

But no. Never.

This year, South Korea was hit with their hottest summer in 106 years according to this article. And to be honest, I don't doubt it. It was absolutely terrible and I spent most of my time indoors, pumping up that AC and that electric bill. And I couldn't have survived it any other way. Getting out of the house for a five minute walk to the supermarket took a lot of preparation mentally and physically. I'm not even over reacting. I can not stand the heat and this summer was exhausting and draining.

I spent a lot of time indoors. "Living for the weekend" was put on hold and it really was just getting through it.

So not a lot of exploring. Not a lot of adventuring.
So here are some of the things I did to get through this horrid time of the year.

Reading
I read avidly regardless, but during this time my reading time increased significantly. I read a total of five books in two months - which is a recent personal best.
One of my little successes was getting through the first book in "The Wheel of Time" series, "The Eye of the World". 
I'm a fantasy freak, and I had this series recommended by several friends. They always would always warn me of how much of a commitment it was, because of how many books there were and just the length of it. They would also tell me that it's one of those series that you have to get through the first couple of books before you get to that hooked moment.
Am I hooked? Not particularly. Will I keep reading? Sure thing. I'm in need for an epic fantasy series. Could this be it? arvitsi.

Another fun one that I really enjoyed was "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman. I've always really enjoyed Gaiman's books, and I would highly recommend anything that has his name in it - but I would definitely say to pick this one before any other. I always find myself giddy when I go into his worlds.

Other books I got through that I would recommend:
- The Beach by Alex Garland
- The Summer of the Ubume by Natsuhiko Kyogoku
- Neither Here nor There by Bill Bryson (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) 

And I am currently getting through a collection of folk tales from East Asia, because, why not?

Watching
I haven't really been spending a lot of time into watching shows or movies - I never really do on my own. I usually have someone recommend me a show or a movie, or I'm being forced to watch something and then I get hooked (my brother is usually the perpetrator).
I have been watching Orange is the New Black, although it's mostly background noise. To be honest I couldn't really tell you most of the character names, although I know what's happening. Decent show, good for background noise.

Stanger things, now that was fun. A short enough series... way too short. But highly enjoyed it!

A highlight of movies that I've seen is Mongol. A fantastic Russian film about the greatest Mongol of all time, played by a Japanese actor. Honestly though, one of my favorite movies I've seen this year. 

Others
Haven't really done anything much worth saying. But then again people would comment that reading and watching isn't something worth saying, specially on a blog. But that's life - life is filled with these moments where time passes and you get to choose what to do with those moment. And a book or a good movie can be just as time worthy as an adventure in the back yard or on the other side of the world. It's what you make of it, isn't it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment