Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Getting a big-fat-punch-in-the-ovaries life lesson about humility

I have never really considered myself a vain person. 
To this day, I would even dare to say that I'm not. But this last week has taught me a lot about learning to disregard certain dispositions and conceptions about a new place, a new adventure and my overall attitude when it comes to living abroad. 

I'm going to backtrack for a bit now.

After coming back home from Georgia two years ago, I remember clearly feeling like I had accomplished something major that was absolutely without compare. Not only had I survived a year of living in another country, away from home and all the western goodies and comforts, but it had been in one of the most curious and (in my opinion) harsh places to do so. I loved it - fell in love with the country and with the people, and if I ever find myself in the position to talk about that year with anybody, I get giddy and excited and nostalgic. But I have to remember myself that by month 8-9 I was totally ready to get the hell out. 


The direct view from my room's window. Being able to experience the change of the seasons for the first time in my life was one of the many gifts this beautiful country gave me. 

So after Georgia, I have to admit that I had the very vain thought that I could conquer anything after having lived through that. 

Six months later came Beijing, and that should have taught me that every new place comes with it's own unique set of quirks and challenge. Maybe I didn't have to worry about going 6 months without running water in Beijing, or having a whole week of classes cancelled because we needed to cut lumber to keep warm during winter. But I did have to deal with a much more demanding job and being photographed in the subway for being a foreigner. 

And even after learning that I can't think to myself YEAH I'M A BADASS I'VE DONE STUFF I came to South Korea thinking to myself... "can't be any more difficult or shocking than China was... it's still Asia" 
"Yeah, because just as Colombia is the same as Mexico, Seoul must be the same as Beijing" thought no one ever, get your shit together Sandra


 Now don't get me wrong. I value my experiences in both China and Georgia dearly, and I would never go back in time and tell myself 'don't do it'. Ever. And that's a fact.

But now... back to the present moment and to why I'm writing about this right now.

I have been a total of 10 days in South Korea, and with each day that passes I find myself breathing a lot easier. It was a shock to be thrown into a completely new routine less than 48 hours after landing, and I had a really hard time dealing with taking everything I could in. 
And that is when I heard life being the tough mother that she is saying "Told you. Don't be too damn cocky" . I can't put myself in this position where because of my experiences I'm above it all, basically is what these last 10 days have taught me. 

Not everything has been a stress though. I found a pretty fantastic view from the roof of my school and I am really excited by the prospect of making this little apartment my own. 

Plus I can see mountains. Enough said. 

I am really excited for this year. I am. There is a lot to see and a lot to explore, and there are so many opportunities to make this year great. And really take this for what it is - it's a completely new country, a completely new city, a new tiny world of it's own which I know very little about and I'm lucky enough to live in for now. So make the most out it. 







No comments:

Post a Comment